Hit and Run Accident Lawyers
Car accidents can be difficult in any situation, when the person that causes the collision leaves the scene of the accident it can make everything harder. Unlike situations where you know the identity of the person and vehicle that caused an accident, there are special rules that need to be followed if you want to make a claim for a hit and run accident. The claim needs to be reported in a specific way and in a specific timeline. There is also a limit on the benefits and potential damages from a hit and run accident.
Hit and run car accidents can be difficult to prove and they require the expertise of an experienced car accident lawyer. Time is often of the essence in hit and run accidents and the quicker you can contact a lawyer the better chance your case has to succeed.
Strict Guidelines After a Hit and Run Accident
In order to be able to make a hit and run claim there are strict rules related to the timing of reporting and efforts made to find the driver that struck you. The immediate steps that we recommend you take include the following:
- Notify the police right away and at least within 24 hours about the accident if they did not attend the scene at the time of the accident. Be sure to give them any useful information that you have that might help them identify the motorist, including a description of the vehicle make, model, colour, licence plate (if possible), any distinguishing features (e.g., specific damage to the vehicle, accessories or decals), and a description of the driver
- Take photos of the accident scene and your injuries as soon as possible. Make sure the pictures have a date and you have a record of who took the photos
- Try to locate any witnesses to the hit and run, including post-accident witnesses who could have seen the vehicle before or after the vehicle hit you (record each witness’ phone numbers, email and mailing address, and ask each witness to write down what he or she observed, including details about the vehicle itself)
- Seek medical attention immediately (calling an ambulance yourself if you need it). Seeing a doctor will allow for your injuries to be documented and for you to obtain medical instructions and treatment
- Check with local residents and business owners in the area of the accident if they saw or heard anything, even if they didn’t see the accident itself and ask if they might have any security video footage of the accident
- Notify your insurance company in writing a sworn statement under oath as soon as possible, and at least within 30 days, that you were in an accident with an unidentified motorist and setting out the important facts;
- If you cannot find witnesses, place an ad in the local newspaper and post signs in the area in which the accident occurred asking for any witnesses to the accident to contact you. Photograph your efforts made to find witnesses.
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer right away! A good lawyer can help make sure you get the most out of your claim.
Get Assistance with Your Claim at Taylor & Blair LLP
If you were struck in a hit and run accident, Taylor & Blair LLP can help you to gather evidence, find witnesses and deal with your insurer. We will work to achieve the best possible outcome in your hit and run accident claim. Using the available evidence, we can also try to locate the party that struck you and represent you in a personal injury claim if the liable party is identified.
Contact our lawyers at Taylor & Blair LLP today There are strict timelines for hit and run accidents and if you don’t act in time your claim may be barred by statute.